To Apply, please submit an application by following this link.
FutureMakers is a growing team of maker education coaches – makers who teach, and teachers who make – with active practices as designers, tinkerers, artists, technologists, and exceptional educators. We partner with organizations and schools throughout the DC, MD, VA area to provide immersive, K – 8 learning labs where young makers play, experiment, and innovate with real tools and technologies, in material-rich environments. Our in- and out-of-school-time learning experiences connect young makers and visiting experts, inspiring young people to see themselves as innovators. FutureMakers coaches use their passions and expertise to design and build original workshops for diverse and varying communities, facilitating innovative, safe and active maker spaces for young people.
Our offices are located in the Motor House on North Ave in Baltimore City, but all programs take place in sites across greater Baltimore. We are seeking Support Coaches to work alongside our experienced Lead Coaches who are interested in being part of an exciting and diverse community of coaches as we grow our presence in greater Baltimore. We believe kids make things better.
Please note: this is not a child care or behavioral health position.
K – 8th grades, in and out of school time settings in schools and community centers.
Minimum 10, Maximum 25.
FutureMakers Support Coaches work alongside experienced lead coaches at sites that have larger teams of young makers, or have specifically requested multiple experts on site. On site, you report to our partner site manager. You are expected to communicate effectively with your lead coaching partner and partner site staff, FutureMakers admin, and the students you facilitate, using their feedback to guide the quality and improvements of your workshop.
We develop programs that take place in community centers, libraries, schools and community sites. Schedules are matched to your availability, in advance, and are fixed and communicated in advance.
Enrichment and Pop-up Programs: Part-time – 5 to 30 Program Hours per week, depending on availability. Eight to ten weeks, following a pre-determined schedule, supporting programs at a set of schools and community locations in greater Baltimore.
Support Coaches earn $15 per hour with opportunities to grow within the role to become Lead Coaches. We compensate for approved travel between sites, if you’re the driver.
- Readiness to apply your skills as a Maker-Educator to support workshops that could include design thinking, basic electronics, traditional woodworking, manufacturing technologies, sculpture, and a range of tinkering and experimental programs. Please visit our website for examples of current workshops.
- Adaptable, flexible, and enthusiastic while interacting with groups of elementary and middle school students in informal settings.
- Ability to assess your progress and troubleshoot challenges.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a Lead Coach
- Daily check in’s for each program you lead.
- Reliable transportation.
- Cover letter stating what makes you a highly qualified candidate.
- 1+ years of in-classroom or related youth instructional / coaching experience, education students encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity with early childhood, elementary and / or middle school student needs and interests.
- Experience as a maker in 3D media – a huge plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – with youth, peers, supervisors and parents.